So, you decided you wanted to forgo animal leather, and now you are stuck probably asking yourself if is there even real vegan leather out there. Well, look no more! Introducing Piñatex (or Pinatex if you don’t have this letter on your keyboard). A super innovative real vegan leather used to create beautiful Pinatex products like belts, bags, and shoes!
We love it because it is cruelty-free, innovative, and opens the door for farmers to get an extra income from their crops.
Table of contents
Here you will find out more about it:
Piñatex: the Pineapple Leather
It all started with Dr. Carmen Hijosa, a Spanish entrepreneur and a former animal leather consultant. To make the story short, she noticed the enormous environmental effect of producing animal leather. Additionally, the time leather workers spend making these goods is insufficient to support their families.
As a result, Carmen decided to forgo using animal leather in favor of another material that would not be as harmful to the environment and humans. In the process of thinking about what will be the alternative for animal leather, she remembered how back in the Philippines, locals would create clothes made up of fibers of the pineapple leaves. This birthed an idea to use the fibers to create a non-woven material that resembles leather. After years of research, with her PhD, she developed Piñatex.
The Piñatex is a non-woven material created from used pineapple leaf fiber that may be used for fashion & accessories, as well as automotive, soft interiors, and other applications. The material is soft, adaptable, lightweight, and can last long.
Fun fact: The pineapple creates 25 million tons of waste annually as the second most popular fruit in the world. By utilizing 825 tons of discarded leaves (instead of burning them) from the pineapple harvest, Piñatex could reduce its carbon footprint by 264 tons.
Want to learn more about the material itself? We got you! Check this article!
How To Take Care of your Piñatex products
Taking care of your Piñatex product is easy. Just follow these steps:
- Regularly polish the product using natural colorless wax to maintain it in top condition.
- With a clean towel, lightly apply your preferred wax in a circular motion until it is absorbed. Then let it dry.
- Avoid utilizing a heat source to dry things more rapidly since doing so might harm them.
- For optimal results, leave for 24 hours in a warm (not hot) area before gently polishing with a soft, dry cloth or soft brush.
- Additionally, you can use proofing spray so that the product will become more water and stain-resistant.
- Use a soft cloth soaked in warm, mild soap to clean your product. Never entirely immerse the product since doing so might result in permanent damage.
- Avoid using chemical cleaners while cleaning your Piñatex item. Gently wipe it.
- Follow the ‘how to maintain’ instructions mentioned above every now and then to prolong the life and luster of the material.
Best Piñatex Products
Vegan Leather 101 check! Now that you know where to find them (ahem! Right here…) and how to take care of them, you might be ready to appreciate their versatility and aesthetic. This amazing material is opening minds and options in the fashion industry.
Check out our many pineapple products from shoes, and sandals to belts and bags. Enjoy!!
Best Pinatex Belts
Beautiful Pinatex Handbags
Cutest Pinatex Shoes & Sandals
LIKED THIS ARTICLE?
Then for sure, you will also enjoy these!